The Cave of Ialomita, a blessed place
The Cave of Ialomita is one of the blessed places in Romania. Many legends and stories were created around her, surrounded by a mysterious aura. The place is heavily energetically charged, beneficial and purifying, being visited by many tourists passionate about the mysteries of the mountains. From Zamolxis to the hermits of the Middle Ages or even rulers of Wallachia in refuge, the Ialomita Cave incites the imagination of many of us.
It is said to be the most visited cave in the Bucegi Mountains and one of the most spectacular in Romania. The Cave of Ialomita is located in Dâmboviţa County, Moreni, in the SE part of Bătrâna Mountain at an altitude of 1560 m. The Cave of Ialomita is impressive, with a length of 1228 m, of which 480 m, with a significant difference in level, specially arranged for tourists.
The cave benefits from excellent visiting conditions, being highlighted the most spectacular halls and galleries, 15-20,000 years old, when the prehistoric animals were sheltered here. At the entrance to the cave there is a showcase where skeletal remains of Ursus Spaeleus are displayed. Being an active, living cave, it is not inhabited by bats.
The cave with spectacular galleries and halls
The cave can be visited in excellent conditions attracting numerous visitors throughout the year. The entrance is guarded by the hermitage whose beginnings go down to the XVII century. First we stop in the Mihnea Voda Grotto, a long and high corridor, about 120 m long. During winters this area fills with stalagmites and stalactites, which form translucent veils of ice on the walls.
Next comes Decebal’s Vault, on the edge of which you can see the bed of the underground river. The route continues with the Crossroads, that is, the separation of the tourist path in two directions, one to the Lakes, and the other to the upper part of the Bears’ Hall or the Great Hall. The latter, 70 m long, 35 m wide and 25 m high, attracts attention by the differences in level and collapsed blocks, but also by the skeletal remains of Ursus spaeleus, a prehistoric mammal that lived 15-20,000 years ago.
At the end of the hall there is the largest collapsed limestone block from the cave: Zamolxis’ Boulder, also called the Wishing Stone. The visitable part of the cave ends in front of two calcite columns, resembling an Altar, the place being considered sanctified and enlightened. From Zamolxis to the hermits who found shelter in the past centuries, the cave incites the imagination and attracts many visitors. The hermitage at the entrance to the cave also attracts many visitors. It’s worth a visit to this magical place!