The sound of harmony influences our mood
When we think of the sound of harmony, it is good to consider both noises from outside the home and from inside the home. Although the term “harmony” is not very often associated with the idea of sound, we rarely think of sound as a basic ingredient in general harmonization with the environment in which we live.
Typical urban housing is far from normal. Even some rural areas are soundly polluted by a whole host of troublesome mechanical sounds, coming from road, air or agricultural machinery. It is important to be aware of the onslaught of noise on us in order to take some measures to reduce the stress it causes.
This stress can lead to increased blood pressure, decreased immunity, neurological imbalances,nervousness and even insomnia. People who suffer from any disease and are disturbed by a constant and irregular sound in intensity, are prevented from getting better or may get worse.
We probably all have a different reaction to the irritant sound factors in our home. Here are some examples: refrigerator, washing machine, kitchen mixer, road repair, car or motorcycle repairs, clocks ticking or ringing, computers, phones, creaking hinges, fans, machines mowing grass, etc.
Noises outside the home
We may not be able to control the noise that has its origins beyond our home, but there are a number of ways we can solve this problem:
- Let us explain to those who make noise the problems they create for us and try to find a common solution.
- We’re checking with the local official authority to see if noise laws are being broken.
- If possible, we build a high solid wall or a double fence between our home and the noise source.
- We plant often hedges between our home and the source of noise.
- We install double glazing (or even triple if the noise is unbearable) and keep the doors and windows closed, at least in that part of the house where the noise comes from.
- Earplugs can help us, if they don’t make us uncomfortable.
- Thick drapes that completely cover the windows in the noisy part of the house can absorb some of the noise.
- We can symbolically suggest to our subconscious that the noise-related unpleasantness is reflected and dispersed from our home, if we place a small convex mirror or other shiny convex object, so that it leads to the source of the noise (e.g. on or above the entrance door or window).
- We can improve the “sound of harmony”, listening to ambient music or sounds from nature (we can use headphones).
Noises inside the home
- Although we have control of noises here, the problem can be just as stressful. Here are some solutions:
- We sign a “peace treaty” with those in our home who tend to create more noise. For example, we suggest they use headphones when listening to the radio, TV, etc., or we set moments or even days of silence. We may even suggest that certain noisy activities be prohibited inside your home, especially if they do not support you and contribute to your daily life.
- Fix small malfunctions that cause unpleasant noises, such as squeaky doors or windows, dripping faucets, which also contribute to a good feng shui in our lives.
- It is good to turn off fans or other appliances when we no longer need them. And also as a suggestion, if noise is an important problem for you, feng shui recommends that we reduce the amount of red, orange and yellow in the home, as these colors can cause increased agitation and sensitivity.
- Use clothes and dishwashers less often and more efficiently, for example only when they are full.
- Use hand tools instead of electric tools in the workshop, in the kitchen or around the house, where possible, for example to mow the lawn less often.
- Let’s turn off the TV, the radio, etc., if there’s nothing interesting or enjoyable to watch.
- Let’s use carpets or rugs on the floor to reduce the noise produced while walking. Let’s use soft tapestry to absorb noise.
- If possible, we decorate the rooms of noisy people in our home in pale, cold, quiet colors such as blue, green, gray and reduce the number of angles in furniture, paintings or other decorative objects (making people less agitated).
The sound of harmony in our lives
Relaxing sounds. It is not mandatory that any noise is a negative aspect of the environment in which we live, but sometimes we can even use it to improve the state and sound of harmony in our home. Pleasant music with relaxing sounds, the song of birds in a beautiful garden, can harmonize and improve our life. We can place a bowl of food or bird water close to home to attract them. It is already known that the presence of birds in the garden creates a positive feng shui.
Artesian fountains. A lot of us like the water. Miniature artesian fountains can be placed in the dwelling, but before we buy this, we check that the sound of the water pump does not cover that of the water. The sound of water can be associated with the sound of harmony. Water purifies and has a beneficial action on the whole body.
Wind chimes can be an effective way to cover other less pleasant sounds. However, we must consider the following criteria:
- Height of sound: what do you find more relaxing, bells with high tones, produced by thin and short tubes, or those in a low tone produced by thicker tubes?
- Volume: Don’t use bells with noise that’s too loud for you and your neighbors (who keep you and them awake on windy nights).
- Tonality: Wind chimes can be made of metal, wood or ceramic. Tougher, more penetrating sounds are produced by metal bells, while wood (especially bamboo tubes) has a warmer sound.
- Size: if we hang bells on a normal-sized door or window, it wouldn’t be wise to use large bells. Either they block the light in, or they become a hindrance. For urban dwellings, the most suitable are small and discrete bells.
Wind chimes have another purpose in feng shui. Shiny metal bells are symbolically used to ward off unpleasant things and bad luck. That’s why they need to be located in special areas of the home, but that depends on the orientation of the home and the current year.
A more practical way of using wind chimes in feng shui is related to the material element they represent. So if part of your home needs a type of earth energy, for this space you could choose wooden bells.
Another symbolic use of wind chimes is the function of protecting and signalling any intrusion into your personal space, like the old bells above the shop door. Creating a sense of security and security in our home, can be achieved with the help of feng shui. I hope that the “sound of harmony”, which you can create yourself, will make you feel comfortable, healthy and full of energy!
I recommend you also read “The harmony of the house by eliminating energy blockages“, ” Living in harmony withnature“, ” The harmony of theenvironment influences our lives“, ” The way we deal with the garden says a lot aboutourselves“.